From the Office of the Resident Dean, Michael Uy
Dearest Alces alces (big and small), I hope y’all’re doing well amidst the problem sets, papers, and midterms. Today (Monday, October 7th) is the last day to add/drop a course, or to change from letter-grade to pass/fail, vice versa. Please, triple check your Crimson Carts one last time to ensure you’re enrolled in all the right courses! Amidst the changing temporal and curricular seasons (it sure feels like we’ve entered a new phase of the semester… and it’s colder, it’s windier, and the sun is setting obnoxiously earlier and earlier), there are also many events and activities going on in Dunster. The Grille is back, along with the always poetic Grille emails. Sophomores have the first of their sophomore-faculty dinners this Friday (today is the last day to sign up – please read my previous email! There are still spots for the first and second dinners). The Hoedown is this Saturday, followed by an apple picking excursion on Sunday. And we have the return of Cheryl’s Friday Philosophy Table, as well as the Biology Table every other Thursday, led by resident tutor Cara. By the way, has anyone ever wondered why our mascot is the moose and not the elk, as indicated on our Dunster shield? No, but really, it’s an honest question. I have no idea why either. Maybe you can ask our Dunster Historian and Co-Faculty Dean Sean? Or undertake a personal investigation? I hope you all have a wonderful week – study well, live well, enjoy well, and wash your hands well. By the way, there was strong opposition by at least one student member of the House to changing the name of the “fun pod.” *Happy Alces alces*
Michael’s Office Hours
Monday, October 7: 2-5 pm
Tuesday, October 8: 10 am-12 noon
Friday, October 11: 2-4 pm
Please feel free to come by during open office hours. If you wish to make an appointment to see me outside of those times, please email Diana at email@example.com. I am at E303H.
The Seventh Monday is October 21st. This is the last day in which you may withdraw from a course for the fall term. If you have any questions about this, or still need advice about your course load, please sign up to see me or come by during office hours. To withdraw from a course, use the form on the Registrar’s website, obtain the appropriate signatures and turn it into the registrar’s office.
Seniors and Requirements
Any seniors who wish to go over their status – how many courses they need to graduate, concentration changes, etc. – should feel free to stop by to see me in the coming weeks. It may be helpful for us to have a conversation now, as you enter the middle of the fall semester.
Gregory Davis is the tutor on-call from October 7-14. He can be reached at 617-851-8419 in case of an emergency.
Taking a Leave of Absence from the College – Fees
Students leaving the College by Monday, October 7, are charged one quarter of tuition and the Student Services Fee.
Students leaving the College by Monday, October 28, are charged one half of tuition and the Student Services Fee.
Students leaving the College by Wednesday, December 4, are charged three-quarters of tuition and the Student Services Fee. After this date, students will be charged the full amount of those costs. See the chart under Financial Information for details of room and board charges.
December 4th is the last day in the fall term upon which undergraduates will ordinarily be granted a leave of absence from the College. Students leaving the College after this date are charged full housing / room fees.
Quote of the Week
“One day, in retrospect, the years of struggle will strike you as the most beautiful.” – Sigmund Freud
FD Courtyard S’mores
Date: Thursday, October 10
Time: 8:30 -9:30 pm
Location: Dunster Courtyard (Weather Permitting)
IM Schedule (Week of 10/7)
Monday 10/7 – Soccer vs. Cabot 7PM (Cumnock)
Tuesday 10/8 – Ultimate Frisbee vs. Eliot 8PM (Stadium)
Thursday 10/10 – Volleyball vs. Currier 8PM (QRAC)
Saturday 10/12 – Inner Tube Water Polo
HUHS – Harvard University Health Services
Take time to get a flu vaccine!
Harvard University Health Services will be giving flu vaccine on a walk-in basis to students at the following locations:
Eliot Dining Hall
5:00pm – 8:00pm
Quincy Jr. Common Room
5:00pm – 8:00pm
Leverett Jr. Common Room
5:00pm – 8:00pm
Lowell Dining Hall
5:00pm – 8:00pm
Mather Dining Hall
OCTOBER 7, MONDAY (5TH MONDAY)
• Fall Full Term – Course Add/ Drop deadline
• Fall Full Term – No course may be changed from letter-graded to Pass/Fail or from Pass/Fail to letter-graded status for the fall term after this date.
• Students leaving the College by this date, are charged one quarter of tuition and the Student Services Fee. After this date, students will be charged one half of those costs.
OCTOBER 18, FRIDAY
• Fall Session 1 Ends
OCTOBER 21, MONDAY (7TH MONDAY)
• Fall Full Term – Last day upon which students may withdraw from a fall term course, a notation of WD will be permanently recorded on the transcript. After this date students are responsible for all courses in which they are enrolled.
• Fall Session 2 Starts
OCTOBER 25, FRIDAY
• Fall Session 2 – Course Registration Deadline
NOVEMBER 4, MONDAY
• Fall Session 2 – Add/Drop Deadline – no fees
NOVEMBER 12, TUESDAY
• Fall Session 2 – Course Withdraw Deadline – no fees
NOVEMBER 14, THURSDAY
• Declaration of Concentration due for on-cycle first-semester sophomores
DECEMBER 2, MONDAY
• Final degree applications for March Degree Candidates due.
• Last day to change concentration for March Degree Candidates without Administrative Board approval.
• Last day upon which March Degree Candidates may submit an approved foreign language citation study plan to the Office of the Registrar.
• Last day upon which March Degree Candidates may submit an approved petition for a secondary field to the Office of the Registrar.
DECEMBER 3, TUESDAY
• Last Day of Fall Full Term Classes
• Fall Session 2 Ends
DECEMBER 4, WEDNESDAY
• Reading Period begins
• Last day in the fall term upon which undergraduates will ordinarily be granted a leave of absence from the College.
DECEMBER 9, MONDAY
• Last day of Reading Period
DECEMBER 10, TUESDAY
• Final Examination Period begins
DECEMBER 19, THURSDAY
• Last day of Final Examination Period
JANUARY 13, MONDAY
• Spring Online Check-In Opens
JANUARY 17, FRIDAY
• Wintersession begins
JANUARY 21, TUESDAY
• FAS Course Registration (Crimson Cart) opens – to allow shopping for courses.
JANUARY 26, SUNDAY
• Last Day of Wintersession
JANUARY 27, MONDAY
• Spring term begins. First meeting of spring term classes.
• Spring Online Check-in Deadline
• FAS Course Registration Opens – to allow enrolling in courses
• Spring Session 1 Starts
Please email submissions to Diana at firstname.lastname@example.org by Thursday, 5:00 pm for Monday publication.
Diana G. Hovsepian
Dunster House Academic Coordinator
945 Memorial Drive
Cambridge, MA 02138