From the Office of the Resident Dean, Michael UY
Dearest meese, oh gosh, I can’t believe it’s already the Third Monday (and the fourth [?!] week of classes)! Today (9/23) is the last day to add/drop a class without a fee. You still have until the Fifth Monday to add/drop with a fee, or change a class to letter-grade or pass-fail. Despite me already hearing about midterms… I nevertheless want to encourage you to pause and think about the fullness and meaningfulness of your life outside the classroom. Do you like taking a stroll along Memorial Drive when it’s closed to traffic on Sundays? Are you reflecting on how you might engage more civically? How you can make a contribution to combatting climate change? Used your words for the greater good? I think before the days get too short and the cold weather forces us in, take the time – now – to be that IM athlete of the week (btw, I plan to participate in the River Run this Saturday!), to take some time to reflect in our Meditation Room, and to sit down next to someone new in the dining hall. As I’ve said before, you can use my message in the Mooseletter as an excuse to strike up a conversation with a Dunsterite you’ve never met before. “So my dean said we should meet new people…” *wink*I hope you all have an AMAZING week. Get that tattoo! *Happy Moose*
Michael’s Office Hours
Tuesday, September 24: 10-12 noon
Thursday, September 26: 2-4 pm
Friday, September 27: 2-4 pm
Please feel free to drop by during open office hours. If you wish to make an appointment to see me, please email Diana at email@example.com. My office is at E303H.
The tutor on-call from September 23-30 is Khin Aung. In the event of an emergency she can be reached at 617-851-8419.
Dunster Tutor on Call 617-851-8419
Harvard Police (HUPD) 617-495-1212
HUHS Urgent Care 617-495-5711
Facilities After-Hours 617-495-5560
Dunster House Apple Picking Outing!
Sunday, October 13, 8:15 am
The annual Dunster apple-picking outing to Red Apple Farm is set for Sunday, October 13th! The trip includes an apple picking bag, apple cider, a hayride, and a visit to the pumpkin patch. We have room for about 40 students, and there will be a lottery if the trip is oversubscribed. To register, please fill out the registration form below no later than Sunday, October 6th. Spots are limited, so please only sign-up if you’re sure you can attend!
Trip Registration Form
IM Schedule for Week of September 23!
Monday 9/23 – Soccer vs. Kirkland 7 pm (Cumnock)
Tuesday 9/24 – Ultimate Frisbee vs. Kirkland 8 pm (Stadium)
Thursday 9/26 – Volleyball vs. Pfoho 7 pm (QRAC)
Tennis will be scheduled individually
ARC (Academic Resource Center)
Understanding your Syllabus
Tuesday, September 24, 2019, 12-1:00 pm
ARC, 1414 Mass Ave, Floor 3R, room 382
Developing a Semester Plan
Thursday, September 26, 2019, 1-2:30 pm
ARC, 1414 Mass Ave, Floor 3R, room 389
Unpacking: A Workshop for Students Coming Back from Study Abroad, Internships, and Fellowships
Thursday, September 26, 2019, 3-4:30 pm
ARC, 1414 Mass Ave, Floor 3R, room 389
This workshop provides a space for students to share their experiences and plan for their semester after returning from time away from Harvard while studying abroad, completing an internship or a fellowship in and outside the USA. To sign up for these workshops please visit: https://academicresourcecenter.harvard.edu/
SEPTEMBER 23, MONDAY (3RD MONDAY)
• Fall Full Term – Last day upon which undergraduates may drop or add any course without a fee.
• Fall Session 1 – Course Withdraw Deadline – no fees
OCTOBER 7, MONDAY (5TH MONDAY)
• Fall Full Term – Course Add/ Drop deadline
• Fall Full Term – No course may be changed from letter-graded to Pass/Fail or from Pass/Fail to letter-graded status for the fall term after this date.
OCTOBER 18, FRIDAY
• Fall Session 1 Ends
OCTOBER 21, MONDAY (7TH MONDAY)
• Fall Full Term – Last day upon which students may withdraw from a fall term course, a notation of WD will be permanently recorded on the transcript. After this date students are responsible for all courses in which they are enrolled.
• Fall Session 2 Starts
OCTOBER 25, FRIDAY
• Fall Session 2 – Course Registration Deadline
NOVEMBER 4, MONDAY
• Fall Session 2 – Add/Drop Deadline – no fees
NOVEMBER 12, TUESDAY
• Fall Session 2 – Course Withdraw Deadline – no fees
NOVEMBER 14, THURSDAY
• Declaration of Concentration due for on-cycle first-semester sophomores
DECEMBER 2, MONDAY
• Final degree applications for March Degree Candidates due.
• Last day to change concentration for March Degree Candidates without Administrative Board approval.
• Last day upon which March Degree Candidates may submit an approved foreign language citation study plan to the Office of the Registrar.
• Last day upon which March Degree Candidates may submit an approved petition for a secondary field to the Office of the Registrar.
DECEMBER 3, TUESDAY
• Last Day of Fall Full Term Classes
• Fall Session 2 Ends
DECEMBER 4, WEDNESDAY
• Reading Period begins
• Last day in the fall term upon which undergraduates will ordinarily be granted a leave of absence from the College.
DECEMBER 9, MONDAY
• Last day of Reading Period
DECEMBER 10, TUESDAY
• Final Examination Period begins
DECEMBER 19, THURSDAY
• Last day of Final Examination Period
JANUARY 13, MONDAY
• Spring Online Check-In Opens
JANUARY 17, FRIDAY
• Wintersession begins
JANUARY 21, TUESDAY
• FAS Course Registration (Crimson Cart) opens – to allow shopping for courses.
JANUARY 26, SUNDAY
• Last Day of Wintersession
JANUARY 27, MONDAY
• Spring term begins. First meeting of spring term classes.
• Spring Online Check-in Deadline
• FAS Course Registration Opens – to allow enrolling in courses
• Spring Session 1 Starts
Please email submissions to Diana at firstname.lastname@example.org by Thursday, 5:00 pm for Monday publication.
Diana G. Hovsepian
Dunster House Academic Coordinator
945 Memorial Drive
Cambridge, MA 02138