As First Gen Resident Tutors our aim is to create a supportive space for all students who identify as being first-generation and/or low-income (FGLI) students. We FGLI tutors personally understand the experience that first-gen and low-income students go through: We often did not feel confident enough to reach out to professors and TAs, did not want to bother anyone when we were facing challenges big or small, or often felt like we did not fit into this elite world.
We want to share with you the lessons we learned along the way and support you to have the best possible experience here at Harvard.
Please reach out to us for any advice with regard to academics, your personal life, careers or anything else! We are here to help and support you.
Not sure if you are FGLI? Don’t worry about it! You are still welcome!
- Harvard Primus, a student-led organization that seeks to ease the transition to college, build a strong and supportive community, and provide a voice for first-gen students.
- Harvard Financial Aid Initiative (HFAI), which supports students through financial aid and special programs like the Student Events Fund, the Winter Coat Fund, and community events like HFAI dinners.
- First Generation Advising Faculty, first generation faculty are those who are interested in working with students from diverse backgrounds.
- Harvard Next Gen Initiative, a cross-Harvard group utilizing technology to align, consolidate, and enhance institutional support and community building pathways for all Harvard undergraduate and graduate students who are the first in their families to pursue a degree in the U.S and/or are from under-resourced or underserved backgrounds.
- First Generation Harvard Alumni (FGHA), a Harvard Alumni Association shared interest group dedicated to mentoring, advocating for, and providing networking connections to first-generation Harvard students and alumni.